This page may contain affiliate links.
This chocolate wacky cake is moist and delicious and inexpensive to make. It’s chocolate decadence in a pan. No eggs, no butter? No problem!
What is wacky cake?
Wacky cake, also known as Crazy Cake or Depression Cake, is a type of cake that originated during the Great Depression era in the United States. It gained popularity due to its simplicity and the fact that it doesn’t require expensive or hard-to-find ingredients.
What makes wacky cake unique is that it is made without eggs, butter, or milk, which were scarce or expensive during the Great Depression. Instead, it relies on pantry staples such as flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, vinegar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
The cake batter is typically prepared directly in the baking pan, making it a one-bowl recipe that requires minimal cleanup. The dry ingredients are combined and then the wet ingredients are added, including vinegar, which reacts with the baking soda to create a leavening effect. The cake rises and becomes light and fluffy despite the absence of eggs.
Wacky cake is often a simple chocolate cake, but variations can include additional ingredients such as nuts, chocolate chips, or flavored extracts to add more depth of flavor. It can be served plain, dusted with powdered sugar, or topped with frosting or glaze.
This type of cake is loved for its moist texture and rich chocolate flavor, and it has remained a favorite for many people who appreciate its historical significance and delicious taste.
Crazy cake recipes
For more wacky cake ideas, check these out:
You can get creative with this basic recipe by adding nuts, chocolate chips, or even spices like cinnamon for added flavor. You can also experiment with different frostings or glazes to suit your preferences. But one thing I do know is that you are going to love this cake!
Chocolate Wacky Cake recipe
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/8 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. coffee, cooled
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In an ungreased, 9-by-13-inch pan, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the mixture gently with a fork until combined and spread in an even layer in the baking pan. Make 1 large well in the center of the cake, and 2 small wells on either side of the large one. Pour the oil into the large well, the vanilla into one of the small wells, and the vinegar into the other small well. Pour the coffee evenly over everything in the pan. With the fork, stir everything together until combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan, on a wire rack, about 1 ½ hours.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.