This page may contain affiliate links.
This Pumpkin Wacky Cake is the perfect fusion of whimsy and fall flavors. No eggs, no milk, no fuss – just a dash of magic and a sprinkle of autumn spirit. We love making crazy cake in flavors because it’s so good and so inexpensive to make. One of our favorite fall desserts.
Whether you’re cozying up with a warm drink or throwing a festive fall bash, this cake will leave everyone wondering, “How did they do it?” Grab your apron, and let’s go a little pumpkin-crazy together!
For more yummy pumpkin ideas, check out some of our favorites here:
- 20 Pumpkin Desserts that are NOT Pie!
- No Bake Pumpkin Pie in a Jar
- Pumpkin Pie Crumbl Cookies Copycat Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Buttermilk Donuts
What is Wacky Cake?
Wacky Cake, also known as Crazy Cake or Depression Cake, is a type of cake that was popularized during the Great Depression era in the United States. What makes it “wacky” is its absence of certain ingredients that were hard to come by or were considered luxury items during that time, specifically eggs, butter, and milk. Yet, despite these omissions, the cake turns out surprisingly moist and delicious.
Wacky Cake Flavors
You can make a ton of different wacky cakes, here are some that we love to make:
Pumpkin Wacky Cake
- For the frosting, use any buttercream or cream cheese frosting you like.
- The frosting I used: 2 cups powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, then whisk in heavy cream 2 tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- The cake keeps well at room temperature or refrigerated for up to five days. It freezes well without frosting and could be kept frozen for up to three months.
Now let’s get to the good stuff:
- • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- • 1 cup granulated sugar
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • ½ teaspoon baking powder
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- • ½ cup pumpkin puree
- • 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
Use a spoon to form wells in different areas around the surface of the dry ingredient mixture; two large wells and two small. This is meant to keep the wet ingredients separate until the water is added.
Scoop the pumpkin into one of the large wells. Pour the vegetable oil into the other large well, then the vinegar and vanilla separately into the two small wells.
Add the water to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake the cake at 350F for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
Cool the cake completely to room temperature then top with the frosting of your choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.