This page may contain affiliate links.
These Cookie Monster Rice Krispie Treats are a fun blue Cookie Monster color and are topped with crumbled cookies that any Cookie Monster would love. AND they are bursting with deep flavor because they are made with delicious brown butter. What could be better?
Gourmet rice krispie treat recipe
A delightful twist on a classic childhood favorite that elevates the familiar flavors to a whole new level of indulgence. These treats take the timeless combination of marshmallows and crispy rice cereal and infuse it with the rich, nutty aroma and flavor of browned butter.
The result? A mouthwatering, gooey, and irresistibly decadent treat that combines nostalgia with a sophisticated twist. And then they are topped with crumbles of the BEST cookies from childhood. It puts these Cookie Monster Rice Krispie treats right over the top!
What is brown butter?
Brown butter, also known as beurre noisette in French, is a simple yet transformative ingredient used in cooking and baking. It’s essentially butter that has been heated until the milk solids in it turn brown, resulting in a nutty and aromatic flavor.
It brings a depth of flavor to any recipe you are making. Once you try it, you’ll want to use it over and over again!
For more brown butter yum yums, check these out:
Or for more Rice Krispie Treat ideas, check these fun versions out:
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
To store, keep covered in the refrigerator, or take the square rice krispies and plastic wrap each individually.
Cookie Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 sticks unsalted butter browned
- 10 ounce bag of jumbo marshmallows
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Blue dye
- 6 cups of rice krispy cereal
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- 10 Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies crumbled
- 10 Oreos crumbled
- In a saucepan or pot, melt two sticks of butter. Continue stirring the butter at medium heat until it starts to brown and smell nutty and turns a goldne brown.
- Add the marshmallows to the pan or pot and melt them down while stirring together. At the beginning the marshmallows will look like they aren’t mixing with the butter, but after about 5 minutes they will.
- Add in the sweetened condensed milk to the melted marshmallow mixture and stir together.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and blue food dye. Add as many drops until you get to your desired shade of blue.
- Pour this mixture on top of the rice krispies and mix together until all of them are completely coated.
- Add ½ cup of the white chocolate chips, ¾ of the crumbled chocolate chip cookies and ¾ of the crumbled oreos to the rice krispies stirring together, leaving a bit extra of these to top the treats with later.
- Coat the 9×11 inch pan with butter or place parchment paper inside to prevent the rice krispy treats from sticking.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips cookies, oreos, and white chocolate chips on top of the pan and gently press into the rice krispies.
- Place this in the refrigerator covered for at least 20 minutes. Then cut and enjoy!
How to store rice krispie treats
Storing Rice Krispie Treats is essential to keep them fresh and maintain their delicious texture. Here are some steps on how to store them properly:
- Before storing your Rice Krispie Treats, make sure they have cooled completely. Allow them to sit at room temperature for a few hours to set.
- If you’ve made a large batch, cut the treats into individual squares or rectangles. This makes it easier to serve and store.
- Place sheets of parchment paper or wax paper between the layers of treats. This prevents them from sticking together and makes it easier to remove them when you’re ready to serve.
- Transfer the Rice Krispie Treats to an airtight container. A plastic container with a tight-fitting lid works well. Alternatively, you can use a resealable plastic bag, squeezing out as much air as possible before sealing it.
- Rice Krispie Treats can be stored at room temperature for a few days if you plan to consume them relatively quickly. Make sure they are in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out.
- Keep your Rice Krispie Treats away from moisture or humidity, as it can make them soggy.
Properly stored Rice Krispie Treats can retain their freshness and flavor for an extended period, allowing you to enjoy them over time without any loss in quality.
Can you freeze rice krispie treats?
Yes, you can freeze Rice Krispie Treats to extend their shelf life. Freezing is an excellent option if you want to store them for an extended period. Here’s how to freeze Rice Krispie Treats:
- Cool Completely: Allow the Rice Krispie Treats to cool completely at room temperature before freezing.
- Cut into Portions: If you’ve made a large batch, cut the treats into individual squares or rectangles. This makes it easier to handle and thaw only the amount you want to enjoy.
- Wrap Individually: Wrap each Rice Krispie Treat individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Ensure that they are tightly wrapped to prevent freezer burn and to maintain their freshness.
- Place in an Airtight Container or Bag: After wrapping the individual treats, place them in an airtight container or a resealable freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible from the bag before sealing it.
- Label and Date: It’s a good practice to label the container or bag with the date you froze them, so you can keep track of their freshness.
- Freeze: Put the container or bag of wrapped Rice Krispie Treats in the freezer. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
- Thaw and Enjoy: When you’re ready to enjoy a treat, simply remove it from the freezer, unwrap it, and let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours. You can also microwave it for a few seconds to speed up the thawing process if desired.
Properly frozen Rice Krispie Treats should maintain their flavor and texture when thawed, allowing you to enjoy them at your convenience.
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.