This page may contain affiliate links.
This blueberry cake donut recipe is a must try! Rich in color and texture, with the subtle crunch of the glaze that soaks into the outside layer. But not near the calories as a fried donut. Tender, moist, and so delicious.
These baked blueberry cake donuts fulfill every dream of the perfect donut. All you need is a donut pan and this perfect recipe! Inexpensive to make and unique in flavor and texture, they are better than anything you can get store bought! And they don’t take long to make!
They are so cute and yummy. I know my grandma would be proud of this recipe. And she would make it over and over again like we do at home!
Here are my best baked donut tips:
- Use a piping bag to fill your donut pan. Or put a large icing tip on the corner of a gallon sized ziplock bag and use it as one. Don’t fill your bag too full of batter.
- Don’t overfill the donut shapes with batter. It will expand, so your donuts won’t have a hole if you use too much.
For more blueberry delights, check out these insanely good blueberry lemon blondies. You won’t be sorry!
If you love everything blueberry, check out what else you can do with blueberries:
- Blueberry mini tarts
- Lemon tart with blueberries
- No Bake Mixed Berry Trifle
- Healthy toddler blueberry muffins
- Healthy blueberry peach smoothie
- Blueberry lemon blondies
Blueberry cake donut with lemon vanilla glaze
Blueberry Cake Donut Recipe
Soft, tender cake donuts with the sweetness and tang of blueberries and a subtle crunch on the outside.
- For the donuts:
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 c of warm water
- For the lemon vanilla glaze:
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon of water
- Add the yeast to the warm water.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar to the yeast and water.
- Allow the proof.
- In a large bowl combine salt, flour, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Create a well in the center.
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and let the dough rise for about an hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size add the lemon juice or extract and blueberries.
- Gently fold the fruit into the dough and allow to rise for about 30 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Getting the dough into your donut pans can be done in several ways. You can squeeze the dough in via a pastry bag, or you can work it with your hands and carefully lay it into the donut pans in a rough circle of dough.
- When the dough is in the pans, let it sit on your warm stovetop and rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake the donuts for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the donuts are baking, mix up a glaze if desired.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice to a mixing bowl.
- With a whisk, begin stirring, and add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix until smooth.
- If your glaze seems to thick, add more water, about a half a teaspoon at a time until you have a thin consistency.
- Add in zest. Stir.
- When the donuts come out of the oven, allow them to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Dip the donut tops into the glaze, and allow them to dry for about 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 2gSugar: 42gProtein: 4g
These baked blueberry cake donuts will last in an airtight container for 1-2 days on the counter or up to a week in the fridge. They freeze beautifully and are a great make ahead if you’re having company. They are a perfect breakfast, or a treat during the day. And they dunk great in coffee!
For more inspiration on what to do with your donut pan, check these out:
- Old fashioned baked donuts
- Lemon poppyseed baked donuts
- Baked banana donuts with browned butter glaze
- Chocolate baked donuts
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.
Leave a Reply