This page may contain affiliate links.
Looking for a show-stopping dessert to impress your guests? Look no further than this delicious layered German chocolate brownie recipe. With a rich, fudgy brownie base topped with a decadent layer of coconut-pecan frosting, and chocolate ganache, these ooey gooey brownies are sure to be a hit at any gathering.
Decadent chocolate brownies
Follow along with this easy recipe and learn how to create this indulgent dessert in no time. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just looking for a sweet treat, this layered German chocolate brownie is the perfect way to satisfy your cravings.
There are several factors that can make brownies decadent, including:
- Rich chocolate flavor: The chocolate used in brownies can greatly affect their decadence.
- Fudgy texture: Brownies with a fudgy texture are often considered more decadent than those with a cake-like texture. This can be achieved by using more butter and less flour, as well as incorporating melted chocolate into the batter.
- Indulgent toppings: Toppings such as frosting, ganache, or caramel can take brownies to the next level of decadence. These rich and sweet toppings can add an extra layer of indulgence to an already delicious dessert.
- Add-ins: Adding nuts or other mix-ins to brownies can also make them more decadent. These additions provide extra texture and flavor, making the brownies more satisfying and indulgent.
German Chocolate Filling
German chocolate frosting or filling is a rich, sweet mixture made from caramelized coconut, chopped pecans, and a cooked custard-like mixture. The frosting is traditionally used to top German chocolate cakes, but it can also be used as a filling between cake layers or as a topping for brownies.
To make the frosting, the coconut and pecans are toasted until golden brown and set aside. The custard-like mixture is made by cooking a combination of sugar, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and butter until it thickens and turns golden brown. The toasted coconut and pecans are then stirred into the mixture until evenly distributed. The resulting frosting is a thick, caramel-like mixture with a nutty crunch from the pecans and coconut.
The combination of the sweet caramel flavor, nutty crunch, and creamy texture make German chocolate frosting a beloved and classic dessert topping. While it may require some time and effort to prepare, the end result is well worth it for anyone who loves rich and decadent desserts.
For more fun brownie ideas, check these out:
- Fudgy & Healthy Flourless Chocolate Brownies
- Halloween Mummy Brownies
- Salted Caramel Espresso Brownie Jars
- Stuffed Oreo Brownies with Melting Oreo Cream
- Seriously Fudgy Brownies
- Coconut Pecan Topping
- 1/2 C evaporated milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 C unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 C pecan chips
- Chocolate Ganache
- ½ C chocolate chips
- ¼ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 disposable piping bag
- Brownie Batter
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
- 2 C sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ C semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 ¾ C flour
- 1/2 C Hershey cocoa powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the Coconut Pecan Topping:
Using a medium saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar and butter over medium heat.
Make sure to stir constantly until thickened. Should take about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and strain using a mesh strainer.
Stir in the vanilla, shredded coconut, and pecan chips.
Allow mixture to cool completely
For the Ganache
Using a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a slow simmer
Pour over the chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl and whisk until combined and smooth
For the Brownie Layer
Preheat oven to 350 and spray and line 2 8x8 pan with parchment paper and spray with pam baking spray
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt
Using a large bowl, beat together the melted butter and sugar until combined
Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined
Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined
Fold in the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips
Divide the batter between the two pans and spread evenly
Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Allow to cool completely on the counter
Building the brownies
Remove cooled brownies and place onto a cutting board
Spread ¼ C of ganache onto the bottom layer of brownies and spread evenly
Spread ½ C of the coconut pecan topping on top of the ganache
Place the second layer of brownies on top
Spread another ¼ C of ganache on top of the brownies and spread another layer of the coconut pecan topping on
Drizzle ganache on top and sprinkle a few chopped pecans on top
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 4gSugar: 48gProtein: 7g
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.