This page may contain affiliate links.
This chewy delicious Red Velvet Sandwich Cookie with Cream Cheese Filling is fun for Valentine’s Day or just because! It’s a chewy soft cookie loaded with flavor filled with a tangy, sweet, cream cheese filling that’s to die for.
To me, there is nothing better than a sandwich cookie. You get the pleasure of a yummy chewy cookie filled with something else glorious like this cream cheese filling. And red velvet is so pretty. What better color than red for Valentine’s day? My mother in law loved whoopie pies and I would make them for her. This kind of reminds me of doing that. Although, I like it better with a chewy cookie like this.
For more sandwich cookie ideas, check these out:
Cocoa powder is a key ingredient in red velvet cake. So it’s also a big part of this red velvet sandwich cookie recipe. Before red food coloring was used, they colored the cookie batter with beets. I don’t know how to do that, so I used the traditional way I’m used to seeing.
Do not overmix this batter. Mix it well, but not too much or they won’t have a great texture.
This recipe is a show-stopper. It’s so festive for Christmas and Valentine’s. It’s versatile as well.
You can freeze the cookies separately and fill them at the last minute before you want to serve them (or eat them). If you just want to make them a day or two ahead, that’s fine too, they can set out. Just make sure they’re in an airtight container. They can also stay in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
For more great Valentine’s desserts, check out these festive ideas:
- 5 Ingredient Healthy Strawberry Chia Pudding
- Valentines Meringue Cookies
- Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream
- Lemon Strawberry Bread
- Fudgy & Healthy Flourless Chocolate Brownies
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
Soft chewy red velvet cookies filled with creamy rich sweet cream cheese filling.
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons red liquid food coloring
- ½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl, for about 3 minutes. The mixture will be light and fluffy and lightened in color.
- Add the egg and mix until just combined.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and food coloring until well disbursed.
- Add in the dry mixture until just combined. Cover and chill the bowl for 15-20 minutes.
- While the cookie dough is chilling, line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C. You can also prepare the filling while you wait.
- Use a spoon or cookie scooper, and drop 1 tablespoon balls onto the tray. It is ideal to use the scooper so that the cookies are uniform in size for the sandwiches. Allow about 2 inches between the dough balls to allow for spreading. Bake for about 8-10 minutes (the tops should look dry) on the middle rack.
- Let the cookies sit on the pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy – about 3 minutes.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar in several additions until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and continue to mix well.
- Cut the tip of a piping bag and drop in a large open star tip. Place the bag into a tall cup and fold the edges of the bag over the top of the cup. Scoop the filling into the bag and twist it to close the bag.
- Pipe swirls onto the bottoms of half of the cookies, and place the second cookie on top, bottom side down.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 803Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 112gFiber: 1gSugar: 84gProtein: 7g
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.
Leave a Reply