This page may contain affiliate links.
A galette is a french pastry that I would describe as a flat, easier, rustic apple pie! It’s a treat for the eyes and will wow everyone. But the flavor, wham pow! It’s a wonderful fall dessert. This darling apple galette recipe will be a new favorite!
A galette can be served warm with vanilla ice cream or on it’s own. But what isn’t better with ice cream? The crust is crisp and flaky with crunchy sugar on top. The apples are warm, tender, and flavored with cinnamon. I’d love to eat it every day.
For the best apple desserts, especially pies and galettes, use a mixture of apples. Some contenders that make great pie include Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Gala, Granny Smith, Pink lady, or Honey crisp. I just love apple pie and apple desserts so this is so exciting to me!
Here are a few tips for making the best galette:
- Slice your apples super thin for the apple galettes (a little thicker for Golden delicious)
- Use cold butter and work fast so it doesn’t warm up (this is the key to flaky crust!)
- Don’t overwork your dough, make sure it’s barely combined and press it together and don’t knead it much. As little as possible to get it to hold together.
- You can glaze the crust with a beaten egg white brushed on the top and sprinkle it with a bit of raw sugar or superfine white sugar for extra crunch and shine!
For even more variation, you can top your galette with nuts, vanilla glass, or caramel sauce.
For more warm spice fall desserts, check this out:
For another apple idea, try these fun mini caramel apple bites! Or Apple Pie Cheesecake in a Jar!
Tasty apple galette
Darling Apple Galette Recipe
A rustic, simple apple pie that's flat and simple to make but full flavored.
- For the crust
- 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (unsalted, chilled)
- 3-4 tbsp ice cold water
- For the filling
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Butter
1. In a bowl, sift in and whisk the flour and salt.
2. Cut the chilled butter into small pieces. Add them in the flour and salt mixture.
3. Use a fork or food processor to incorporate the butter to form crumbles.
4. Add the cold water and mix until well incorporated.
5. Divide the crust dough into small portions and give them a round shape.
6. Wrap the galette dough balls with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 40 minutes.
7. Peel and slice an apple into thin pieces.
8. Mix the thinly sliced apples with powdered sugar, cinnamon and ginger powder, lemon
juice and salt.
9. In a pan add butter and once it melts completely, add the seasoned apple slices. Let
it simmer on medium low heat. Once it sizzles up and the apples have softened,
turn the heat off.
10. Take out any one of the wrapped dough. Take it out of the wrap and place it on a
floured surface, roll out the chilled dough.
11. Add a good amount of the filling on the center of the rolled dough.
12. Fold a small part of the border dough over the side of the apple filling.
13. Fold another small part adjacent to first one.
14. Continue to fold the border dough until the filling’s border is covered nicely.
15. Beat an egg and brush it on the crust of the galette. Preheat the oven to 400
degrees and bake the galettes for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 883Total Fat: 91gSaturated Fat: 57gTrans Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 240mgSodium: 1548mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g
For more darling dessert ideas, check these out:
Check out more fruity desserts special enough for Christmas dinner or any occasion here.
Amazon is the trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.
Leave a Reply